Building Services Volunteer
Ronald McDonald House – Oak Street
Building Services Volunteers work closely with out maintenance staff on facility repairs and building-upkeep tasks to keep the House safe and functional. Tasks are assigned based on the volunteer’s knowledge and abilities. Tasks could include:
- Electrical work
- HVAC maintenance and filter changes
- Home repairs
- Tile work
- Appliance repair and replacement
- Specialty cleaning (Shampoo carpet, clean floors, power wash)
- Mowing the lawn
Is the Building Services role right for you?
RMH-Oak Street is a 75,000 ft2 facility consisting of 48 overnight rooms and many common areas and spaces. It’s a large House to keep up! Our team of building services volunteers enjoy lending their skills to keep the House in good working order for RMH families. This role is great for individuals with:
- The ability to communicate and work with our facilities team to identify work orders and tasks to complete
- A background in general building care or maintenance
- The ability to complete tasks in a timely manner with minimal intrusion of family privacy
- An interest in working independently
- The ability to problem-solve and fix things
- A can-do attitude
Typical Hours and Commitment
Building Services shifts are typically 2-3 hours long between the hours of 10am-8pm seven days a week. Most volunteers commit to a recurring shift on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, and others choose a semi-regular schedule depending on need. We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of one full semester, or 50 hours.
An overview of your position will be provided during your orientation and House tour. On the day of your first shift, you will meet some of the RMH staff members who will be providing you guidance throughout your time in the House. More training and guidance will be provided during each shift as necessary.