Ronald McDonald House – Oak Street
Family Service volunteers work closely with our Family Programs & Activities Manager to host fun, family-friendly activities for RMH families. Volunteers can assist with regularly scheduled activities or can organize a time to share a planned activity of their own. We offer programs for patients/siblings and caregivers at the House. Examples could include:
- Assisting with regularly scheduled activities (trivia, bingo, movie nights, arts and crafts, etc.)
- Helping with the setup, organization, and preparation of activities
- Assisting with clean up following the activity
- Offering up their own skills and talents for activities such as: chess matches, piano/music lessons, baking, scrapbooking, or a physical activity
Should you be a part of Family Services?
Our team of Family Service volunteers support our efforts to offer engaging programs and activities for the families staying at RMH. They work directly with patients, siblings, or caregivers and enjoy creating a welcoming and stimulating environment for those around them. This role is great for individuals with:
- Excellent communication skills with both children and adults
- General organizational and cleaning skills
- An interest in working with kids and families
Typical Hours and Commitment
Family Service volunteers commit to a recurring 2.5-hour shift from 2:30pm-5pm, Monday-Friday on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of one full semester, or 50 hours.
An overview of your position will be provided during your orientation and House tour. On the day of your first shift, you will meet some of the RMH staff members who will be providing you guidance throughout your time in the House. More detailed training and guidelines will be provided at the start of each shift.