Ronald McDonald House – Oak Street
If you ask any one of our families, you’ll likely hear that having a home cooked meal prepared for them is one of the most important services we provide. At our Oak Street location, we have a dedicated meal team who work alongside volunteers to provide 3000+ meals each week at our four twin cities locations. Kitchen volunteers do not need to be good cooks to be successful in this role! They support the meal team with packaging, preparing, and/or serving meals as well as preparing grab-and-go snack options for families. Daily tasks may include the following:
- Preparing and packaging meals or grab-and-go snack options
- Restocking the grab-and-go areas
- Welcoming families for a meal, and serving when needed
- Cleaning kitchen tables and counters
- Ensuring food safety practices are being met, including hand washing and using gloves
- Understanding meal items and ingredient lists
Is the Kitchen Assitant role right for you?
Kitchen Assistants are an essential part of the mission here at RMHC-Upper Midwest. They must feel comfortable working in kitchen and willing to assist with meal/snack prep, packaging, and cleaning. This role is great for individuals with:
- An interest in meal and snack preparation
- The ability to multi-task and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact appropriately with RMH staff, volunteers, and families
Typical Hours and Commitment
Kitchen Assistant shifts are typically 2-3 hours long between the hours of 10am-6pm on weekdays. Volunteers commit to a recurring shift on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of one full semester, or 50 hours.
An overview of your position will be provided during your orientation and House tour. During the tour, you will get the chance to meet our Meal Team who will be supporting you throughout your shift. More detailed training and guidelines will be provided during your first shift.