Ronald McDonald House – Oak Street
Each day, we provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner options for RMH families at all five of our locations. At RMH-Oak Street, meal server volunteers support this effort by serving meals to families. Our meal team cares for all meal planning and preparations, and volunteers serve the meal to families as they come through for lunch or dinner (no cooking skills required!). Volunteers may also be asked to assist with cleaning up after the meal and/or packaging leftovers into individual grab-and-go meals. A typical shift could involve:
- Assisting with final set up preparations before serving (placing food in warmers, setting out necessary utensils, etc.)
- Welcoming and serving families meals as they come through the serving line for lunch or dinner
- Ensuring food safety practices are met, including hand washing and using gloves
- Understanding menu items and ingredient lists
- Packing leftovers into individual grab-and-go containers
- Cleaning up the serving area after mealtime is over
- If a Cooks for Kids meal group is signed up to sponsor the meal, the meal server may be asked to assist with other aspects of the meal program, or they may take the week off from their volunteer commitment
Is the Kitchen Assitant role right for you?
Meal Servers are an essential part of the mission here at RMHC-Upper Midwest. They must feel comfortable working in kitchen and interacting with RMH families. This role is great for individuals with:
- A friendly attitude and smile
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and operate in a fast-paced environment
Typical Hours and Commitment
Meal servers commit to one weekly or bi-weekly shift for lunch or dinner. We serve meals seven days a week, 365 days a year. Typical shifts are 11:30am-1:30pm for lunches and 4:30pm-6:30pm for dinners. We ask for a minimum commitment of one full semester or 50 hours.
An overview of your position will be provided during your orientation and House tour. During the tour, you will get the chance to meet our Meal Team who will be supporting you throughout your shift. More detailed training and guidelines will be provided during your first shift.