School Aide Volunteer
Ronald McDonald House – Oak Street
The RMH-Oak Street location has an accredited K-12 school onsite for patients and siblings to enroll in. Volunteers play a large role in making sure students receive one-on-one and small group attention. School Aides work closely with the RMH teaching staff and assist with a variety of tasks to keep the classroom running smoothly. Tasks could include:
- Helping students with schoolwork in a one-on-one or small group capacity
- Assisting the teachers with lesson planning and preparations
- Completing administrative tasks such as making copies or sorting materials
- Supervising lunch and recess
- Keeping the classroom clean and organized
Is the School Aide role right for you?
School aides are essential to the classroom and supporting students with their unique individual needs. The number of students enrolled in the RMH school can change often due to the number of families staying at the House, or even conflicts with clinic appointments. Volunteers in the classroom are great at being flexible to the needs of the day and enjoy working directly with kids. This role is great for individuals with:
- An interest in education and working with a range of students K-12
- Strong communication skills with adults and students
- Willingness to ask for clarification or guidance if needed
- Feeling comfortable leading a one-on-one or small group lesson with students
- Willingness to contribute ideas for lessons or fun extracurricular activities
- Willingness to supervise student activities outdoors or in the gym
- Empathy for difficult student and family situations
- A positive and all-hands-on-deck attitude
Typical Hours and Commitment
The school year runs on weekdays from September to June between the hours of 8:30am-3pm. Volunteers commit to a weekly or bi-weekly shift for a minimum of one full semester or 50 hours.
An overview of your position will be provided during your orientation and House tour. On the day of your first shift, you will meet some of the RMH staff members who will be providing you guidance throughout your time in the House. More detailed training and guidelines will be provided at the start of each shift.